Thursday, January 31, 2013

Bread Starter


A little about this bread starter. I have been making bread with this starter for close to 18 years. Before that my late husband used it while he was in college. He got some from his mom who had hers for a while before that. It has been from North Carolina to Utah to Texas to California to Idaho to North Carolina again. Wisconsin and Tennessee and now back to North Carolina. We just kept it cool and fed and it keeps giving us lots of yummy bread. I have changed jars along the way and passed some on to friends. After my husband died I went through a period of do I want to keep up with this. This was his. I kept feeding it and making bread but never could I get rid of it. I now make at least 6 loaves at a time and freeze it. With 5 kids it doesn't last long. I can't seem to get rid of it. I will probably be making it until it dies on it's own. 


Some bread I made with the starter. I make all my bread things with this starter. Cinnamon rolls, Rolls, Monkey Bread, bread, etc.


I don't really have the Starter recipe of how to make it but I found one that sounds like what it is. 
I found it on here. Instead of of feeding it 1/2 cup of sugar I feed mine 3/4 cup sugar.

My Bread recipe is as follows.

1 cup starter
1/3  cup sugar
1 1/2 cups Warm water
1/2 cup oil
6 cups bread flour
(you can also use whole wheat flour as well. I like a 50/50 mix of flours. Makes for a good bread).
1 teaspoon salt

Put starter in a mixing bowl. Add Sugar and water. Add oil. Then add the flour and salt. Mix till dough is not sticky. (I use my Kitchen aid mixer with the dough hook, but you could use your hands if you want). Let rise and then punch down and divide into loaves. Rise again and then bake. 350 for about 40 to 45 minutes. (also depending on what you are making and how big your loaves are.)

Hope you enjoy and Happy Baking!

2 comments:

  1. How many loaves of bread can you bake at a time? And do you have to adjust the baking time? I've always wondered. Tell me all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can bake up to 5 in my oven at a time. But to make sure they cook right I usually just cook 4. I don't really adjust the time.

    ReplyDelete